Machiya- Review

by - March 11, 2018


Machiya hands down is one of my favourite Japanese restaurants in London! Machiya was brought to us by the same people behind the famous Kanada-Ya ramen, which is just a couple of doors down. Machiya has a small menu of home-style cooked dishes great to enjoy with an intimate group of friends. Just remember to check Machiya's daily specials for some hidden gems. 


Machiya Hot Wings 500g- £8.00
As you guys already know I am obsessed with fried chicken so I had to try Machiya's hot wings, originally a special, this popular dish is now a staple on the main menu. The wings are fried to perfection and the flavouring is so juicy with a little kick. I definitely recommend this dish!




Beef Tataki- £10.00
My friend suggested trying this dish which I was hesitant on trying. However the meat was so tender it melted in my mouth, there was also a slight rice wine vinegar taste which added a subtle tartness. If you like steak I would suggest you try and tell me what you think about it.



Gyudon- £8.50
I love Japanese donburi's and will always order a rice dish at Japanese restaurants.The tenderness of the beef and onions along with the sweetness of the sauce hits the right spots, especially after a long, cold day.

Tonkatsu- £9
Deep fried pork is always a winner in my book, Machiya's tonkatsu comes with tonkatsu sauce and mustard to dip as well as a cabbage salad. The thickness of the pork is much thicker than I am used to but it makes the taste even juicier. 



Katsudon- £11
Katsudon is one of my favourite dishes to order, I love the deep fried cutlet in egg with sweet onions. Like Machiya's tonkatsu the pieces of the cutlet are very thick but more meat the better right?



Yuzu Salmon- £9.50
I love yuzu and I love salmon so why not try them in a dish together. As nice as it sounds this dish did not really impress me since the yuzu overpowered the whole dish which made it taste overly citrusy. The salmon was ok but I think I will stick to salmon teriyaki if I order salmon at a Japanese restaurant. 





Yaki Imo- £4.50
Did someone say sweet potato?!!? If you are like me you love sweet potato, therefore, whenever there if there is a sweet potato dish you will definitely order to try it. The dish came out as a half, baked sweet potato covered with a yuzu ponzu sauce. I wish the dish was baked for longer but overall was okay.


Matcha mille crepe- £5.00
MATCHAAAAA!!!! Haha you guys already know how obsessed I am about matcha so of course I order the matcha mille crepe. It was definitely love at first bite, the amount of matcha cream there is between each layer and how soft each of the crepe layers are. My mouth is watering thinking about it. I would also recommend you come to machiya and get a pot of sencha tea and a matcha dessert to go along with it.


Matcha fondant- £5.00
Did some say matcha lava cake?!?!?!? Yes that's right Machiya sells a matcha lava cake that oozes a yummy matcha sauce. What would mak this dessert even more perfect is if they added a scoop of vanilla icecream. 


Matcha roll cake-£5.00
You can never go wrong with a roll cake and Machiya's matcha roll cake is no exception. The creamy matcha filling and surprise agar jelly is a treat for your taste buds. 

Where to find Machiya:
5 Panton Street, London, SW1Y 4DL.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my review of Machiya. Please tell me what your favourite Japanese dishes are. 

Follow me on instagram @taecieeee to see my latest eats.
Happy reading,
Tracey xx

You May Also Like

0 comments